Monday, September 03, 2007

Seychelles ICT in figures



Figures published by the National Statistic Bureau (NSB) shows an explosion in the number of cellular mobile telephone subscribers in Seychelles.

Up to December 2006, the total number combining Airtel and Cable & Wireless amounts to 72,019.

This means in three years the number of mobiles in Seychelles has grown by 22, 790 – the number of landlines at around 848, mostly in government offices.

The NSB figures shows a total of 22, 039 telephone exchange lines in 2006 compared to 21, 191 in 2003.

No details were available on the market share of each company.

But observers believe Airtel have the lion share of the GSM network, whilst C&W is the dominant force in fixed line services.

The boom in the number of handsets reflects the trend across the African continent, where mobile phone is having a huge impact.

However, the popularity of home Internet accounts is taking much longer to catch on. From the 2003 figures, it has increased by only 1, 061 to a total 3, 872.

Home Internet access will remain an unpopular choice, unless we address the two stumbling blocks: slow PC penetration and high cost connecting fee. As a result most people are choosing to access the Internet at work or in cyber cafés,” remarks a government ICT technician.

The Internet’s dilly-dally is further highlighted by the fact that cable TV which arrived in Seychelles much later, is more of an attraction in the homes. To date there are 4, 064 connections, whilst satellite dishes remains a predominately hotel based technology with only 122 registered dishes.

It should be noted that in its publication, the NSB put the country’s population at 85, 032.

6 comments:

Zhezow said...

Hello!
How are you?

My English isn't very good, but I'm trying to learn and I hope you can understands me. :)

Well, I'm Brazilian and I and one of my friends are looking for a good place to live and work (with our wives).

One of the places we like most is Seychelles. We have other options, like Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, but we like Seychelles very much, for many reasons. But all we found is searching in Internet so we wanna to talk with some Seychellois to learn about Seychelles and see if is really a better place for us.

My friend founds your blog because we and our wives are Computer Science students and we (specially me hehehe) wants to work with technology, computers, software development or anything like that in Seychelles.

So I wanna know if I can talk with you about your country and how is ICT in Seychelles.

Thanks for your attention!

Seychelles Digital said...

Hi Zhezow,

I hope you'll come back here for my reply, because your profile isn't available.

It's ok. We can talk. I can assist with any information you're seeking.

Talk to you later, José.

damezumari said...

Hi José,

I have just started a free, online tutoring service in Math and ICT for all students, guardians, and teachers in Seychelles.

Any Math or ICT question asked online will be answered within 24 hours. The service is free for the user, supported by sponsors, and commercial free.

The service is at: http://iwantyourquestion.com/sc

I would be grateful if you would allow this plug in your blog and also if you would make the service known in any other way you see fit.

Please visit http://www.iwantyourquestion.com/ask_examplesc.html to see how the questions are answered.

The page http://iwantyourquestion.com/ask_faqsc.html answers the most common questions about the service.

The best way to find out what the service is like, is to try it. Just sign up at http://iwantyourquestion.com/sc and ask away.

I have a hard time finding email addresses to the Ministry of Education and the various schools. Do you know where they can be found?

Kind regards,

Jan Nordgreen

Zhezow said...

Hi, José!

I'm back. :)

Can we chat using Google Talk, Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger?

My Google Talk and WLM is zhezow@gmail.com. Also is my e-mail.

Thanks for reply! :)

Initiative for Social and Economic Rights (ISER) said...

Hiya,
My concern is that you are taking too long to update this page, what is happening? Should we assume that you are too busy with politics?
Cheers!
Angel La

bathmate said...

So well and nice posting , I like it.
Bathmate